Wednesday 12 December 2012

Battle Report 4: Bretonnians vs. Skaven


Right, my fouth 8th ed. game with my Bretonnians and this time I was taking on a small Skaven force (1150 pts.).  First of all it should be noted that my mate fielding the Skaven only has a very small number of models available, and (awesomely) has chosen them for flavour rather than power – they were great fun to play against!  Also, my apologies about the grainy pictures – my wife commandeered the camera for use at a Hen’s Party and I had to rely on my somewhat antiquated mobile phone.

DEPLOYMENT:



We rolled up the ‘Defend the Pass’ scenario – a first for both of us – and deployed as follows:
From left to right I had 12 knights errant (KE) with full command, then 28 men-at-arms with spears and full command and finally 12 knights of the realm (KotR) with full command as well as my general (a paladin), battle-standard bearer (BSB, another paladin) and a level 2 damsel.  To the far right and off screen were my 5 mounted yeomen.



From (screen) left to right for the Skaven were four rat-ogres (just behind the trees), then a skaven weapons team, then a chunky block of clan-rats along with the general, then another weapons team and a smaller unit of clanrats along with a sorcerer.  To the far right, and off-screen, was the whirling ball of chaos and death that is the skaven doomwheel!




My stalwart mounted yeoman vanguarded up the right flank to try to delay/distract the doomwheel and prevent it crashing into my knights’ long flank at an awkward moment.  My devout Bretonnians elected to dismount and pray to the Lady, giving the skaven first turn.

TURN 1:

Skaven:
Most of the skaven decided to hold their ground in turn 1, the general no doubt hoping that the doomwheel would solve the problem of the annoying knights quick-quick.  The doomwheel started hurtling wildly towards the dumbstruck mounted yeomen, but before it could make contact the skaven sorcerer hurled a burl of greenfire into their midst, incinerating all bar one.  The lone remaining yeoman fled as fast as his surefooted pony could carry him.  The doomwheel had already charged its bizarre weaponry however and, denied the opportunity to discharge into the yeomen, began to spin out of control, careening off the side of the board into the mountain side and splintering to pieces.

Bretonnians:
The Bretonnian KE unit, eager to get into battle, began cantering forwards, accompanied by the less eager peasant men-at-arms.  Under the command of my general, my KotRs broke a promise I make to myself every time I play: don’t change the battle plan at the last minute!  My initial plan was a simple two pronged attack down the centre with both KEs and KotRs, supported by the men-at-arms.  However, in a feat of last-minute tactical madness I decided to rather use the KotRs’ superior movement to go around the clump of trees centre-right to set up a flank attack on the right flank.  I made this decision because the doomwheel no longer posed a threat, but did not consider that this took my BSB and general out of range of my impetuous KEs (who needed someone to yell at them to hold them back) and my cowardly men-at-arms (who needed someone to yell at them to stop running away).

TURN 2:

Skaven:
Cursing the incompetence of the doomwheel (which had clearly smashed itself to smithereens in an act of treachery on the part of some rival…), the Skaven warlord ordered his weapons teams and warlord to obliterate the idiotic prancing humans approaching them.  A few KEs fell to noxious fumes but the strange magic of the Bretonnians’ goddess spared them from the worst of the magical assault.

Bretonnians:



The Bretonnian KEs had been given explicit instructions NOT to charge until the signal of the KotRs hornblower, NOT to leave the lowly men-at-arms without instruction and above all NOT to charge the hideous rat-ogres unsupported.  However, without the BSB and general to keep them in line, the KEs promptly failed their impetuousity test and declared a suicidal long range charge against the rat-ogres.  I wasn’t too worried about this because there was almost no chance of them making their charge distance… their swift spirited chargers thought otherwise, however, and promptly smashed into the towering rat-ogres.  Needless to say the men-at-arms were left in the dust, gaping dumbstruck at the stupidity of lordlings (and probably wondering whether anyone would notice if they slipped away back to their farms…).  I think we were all pretty much resigned to the fact that my impetuous KEs were about to be slaughtered needlessly for their vainglory.  Unbelievably, however, the shock of the KE’s reckless charge smashed through the mighty rat-ogres, who broke and fled but were run down by the young gallants. 

TURN 3:

Skaven:


Cursing the incompetence of his rat-ogres (clearly Clan Moulder had treacherously sold him inferior rat-ogres in jealously of his obvious greatness), the Skaven warlord realised that he was probably going to have to get involved in the battle himself.  Seeing the knights of the realm thundering towards his line on the right while the dazed peasants stared on idiotically in the centre, the skaven Warlord knew immediately where his supreme combat abilities would be most needed.  As such the skaven Warlord ordered his sorcerer (of whom he was becoming somewhat suspicious) to hold the advancing knights while he led his clanrats (from just-behind) into a charge against the men-at-arms, who broke in terror at the sight of his awesome majesty (with a little help from the blades of his clan-rats).  The Skaven Warlord curbed his desire to capture the peasants to sell into slavery back in Skavenblight, and instead reformed his troops ready to finish off the foolish KotR who should by now have been held up by his warlock’s clan-rat unit… but it was not to be…

Bretonnians:
My Bretonnian KotR lead by my general and BSB had finally arrived around the woods, lowered their lances and charged at the skaven warlock and his clan-rats.  The cunning warlock had seen what the Bretonnian lance charge had done to the rat-ogres, however, and ordered his unit to feign flight, enraging the frustrated Bretonnians who could not close with their foes.  Meanwhile the KEs had reformed after running down the last of the rat-ogres and were trotting back towards the fray from the top of the battlefield.  Impressed by their chivalry, the mysterious damsel riding with my general wand and healed the wounds of all those KEs who had fallen fighting the rat-ogres, bringing their unit up to full strength!

TURN 4:

Skaven:
The Skaven Warlock had not survived this long in Skaven society without learning to spot a potential threat, and he was all too aware of the KEs reforming ahead of him even as the KotRs failed their charge behind him.  As such he decided that his feigned flight might as well just become a real one, and he lead his clansmen in continued headlong flight.  He had never had much use for that Skaven warlord anyway, this expedition would have all gone according to plan if it was better lead…
Cursing the cowardice of the treacherous warlock who was running from the KotR, the Skaven warlord realised that he was going to have to finish off the KotR himself and, what is worse, he would now have to do it from the front.  If you want something done properly, he mused, you’ve just got to do it yourself.  Besides, he still outnumbered the stupid man-things and their ridiculous animals.  Resisting the urge to squirt the musk of fear, the Skaven warlord ordered his clan-rats into a charge, running into the front of the KotR and denying them the shock of their lance charge.  The KotR found themselves rather taken aback by the savagery of the biting, stabbing horde accosting them, and they were forced to stab ineffectually at the fast moving foe with the butts of their lances. 

Bretonnians:



Just when it seemed that the numbers of the Skaven might overwhelm the Bretonnians, the KEs smashed into the rear of the skaven horde, who as one squirted the musk of fear and scattered before the Bretonnians.  The battle was won, and the unicorn-banner of Quenelles raised over the mountain pass once more!

I thoroughly enjoyed this game, in no small part because of the spirit of my opponent who has chosen a Skaven army for flavour rather than the ridiculous net-builds you find online.  I have to admit that I think my strategy in this game was more than ordinary… splitting my KEs from my KotR at the last minute in this particular battle was a terrible move which should almost certainly have cost me the game if my KEs hadn’t (VERY IMPROBABLY) smashed through the rat-ogres on their charge like that.  If they hadn’t, the rat-ogres would surely have ripped them limb from limb, my men-at-arms were left isolated without knightly leadership and could be disposed of piecemeal (as they were, though they managed to rally when the clan-rats reformed to take on my KotR), and my KotR would have been at the mercy of the entire skaven force.  I had other luck as well: the doomwheel careening into the cliffs, the skaven warlock’s inability to do anything worthwhile in the magic phase, and my damsel’s incredible ability to heal the wounds (regen spell) of about NINE of my knights over the course of the four turns. 

Still, while I can’t claim any credit for it moments like the KEs breaking the rat-ogres on a front-charge are pretty much the most fun you can have as a Bretonnian general, and I really savoured this moment!  All I can say is that sometimes fortune DOES favour the bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment