Sunday 24 June 2012

WFB Campaign: Initial Thoughts

I am really lucky in that I have a great bunch of friends who manage to get together semi-regularly for Warhammer games.  

However, while the games are always great fun, however, there always seems to be something ‘missing.’  I am pretty certain it is the narrative continuity of a linked campaign: my key interest is great stories, after all!  Naming your characters and caring about their origins or fate is difficult when you know that it’s just a one-off.  From the gamer’s point-of-view, I think this means that the battles become a bit drier after a while… it just makes sense to pick the best possible army for your next opponent, along with the best combination of characters and magical items.  I want to focus on the narrative element so that we choose armies which make sense given the background (even if they are not optimal – a general doesn’t always have the troops that he/she wants!) and we can have battles which link across time.
These are the key things I have thought of so far that I would like to have in a narrative campaign:
·         Linked battles, where the outcome of each battle has an impact on the overall campaign.
·         Army lists limited by the particular scenario.
·         All named magical items and characters along with their magical items.
·         Some specially modelled terrain pieces.
·         Narrative battle reports and photos to hang onto and reminisce over.

No comments:

Post a Comment