Friday 6 July 2012

Bretonnian Army Update: Stripping metal models

With a few extra funds freed up I am ready to turn my attention to getting back on track with painting my beloved Bretonnians.  I last had a go in the late 90s I think, and this time I’m determined to stick at it (but then we’ve all heard that one).
First step for me was cleaning some old metal men-at-arms.  I wasn’t too keen with the way I’d tried painting them last time round and wanted to try some of the newer paints which have come out since then.
I know heaps of blogs have tips on cleaning various metals so this isn’t going to be a lesson so much as me getting the chance to have some fun with before and after shots too!  I picked up the info on Pine ‘o clean from my knowledgeable uncle and these guys:
WARNING: WHAT FOLLOWS APPLIES TO METAL MODELS ONLY!  THE PINE O’ CLEAN LITERALLY MELTED THE PLASTIC BASES ON THESE FELLOWS SO I DOUBT THEY WILL BE GENTLE ON PLASTIC MINIATURES.
Right, without further ado…
1. Picked up some Pine o’ clean – it was about $2.50 (Australian) for half a litre at the supermarket.

2. Had one last look at my models and checked whether I had any second thoughts.  I didn’t.  I’d popped the paint on a bit too thickly and was really struggling to deal with a white undercoat.  Decided it was a lesson well learned and looking forward to another go!

3. Popped the models into a glass jar, immersed them in the Pine o’ Clean, screwed the top on tight and left them overnight.

4. Here they are about 8 hours later.  Got an old toothbrush out, pulled on some rubber gloves, switched on the ventilation and started scrubbing.  FANTASTIC fun, and so satisfying watching it all just come away.  In fact I am a little worried that I might enjoy taking the paint OFF models more than putting it ON them.

5. So I was very impressed with the results, but that awful sprayed on white undercoat was as difficult to take off as it was to cover with the other paints – a lot had come away but I decided to repeat the process.

6. Twelve hours later and hey, presto!  With the exception of the odd bit of paint trapped under the armpits (and really, who wants to go rummaging around in there?).  Ready for undercoating and painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment