Wednesday 30 January 2013

Border Princes: Turn 3




32nd Jahrdrung, 2516 IC

The orc warlord who last month claimed the traditional summer camping grounds of the infamous Ironclaw tribe seems to be drawing more and more accursed orcs and goblins to to him, as if those bleak lands with their strange idols to accursed Gork (or is it Mork?) are reminders for the greenskins’ past glories under Gorbad Ironclaw.  Some of my colleagues may scoff that no Greenskin alive today would have any such knowledge given their predictably short lifespans and that they lack interest in all but the most rudimentary arts of civilization, and even then only those which facilitate death and destruction.  However, I believe if these same colleagues had stepped out of their ivory towers and pulled their noses out of their books and winecups for a moment and listened to the Greenskins’ endless drumming and ululating during Azhag the Slaughterer’s recent rampage from the Troll Country, as indeed I did, then they would come to see the Greenskin’s strange collective memory the way I do.
 
I tell you this: The orcs and goblins of the Border Princes KNOW what Gorbad and his Ironclaws did to the Empire.  I do not know HOW they know, but they know.  And they mean to do it again.  Fortunately, for my colleagues who are concerned that yet another orcish invasion of the Empire might interrupt their tenure, I intend to stop them.  With a little help of course.

I have done all that I can here in Aldium now, I shall leave an apprentice with the Imperial forces here and make my way to Malko to see if anything can be done to save it.  I am not optimistic.

-Gavius Klugge, Grey Wizard

Mitterfruhl, 2516 IC [GM Note: The Spring Equinox, known in Bretonnia as 'Lily Day']

I have spent Mitterfruhl with the Bretonnian force under Henri du Bois de Balzac, whose retinue have apparently decided to end their rather leisurely procession along the Silk Road by celebrating ‘Lily Day’ at the crossroads between the Silk Road and the South Road.  While the Imperial farmers surrounding Aldium are no doubt celebrating by sacrificing a firstborn lamb to Taal and Rhya, just as would our countrymen north of the Black Mountains, for the Bretonnian peasantry Lily Day involves decorating everything with flowers and Morris dancing!  For the Bretonnian aristocracy Lily Day involves feasting, jousting, hunting, singing, dancing and tourneying… which is really not much different to what they have been doing on the road thus far by all accounts! 

One difference, of course, is the scale of the pomp, excess, and organized violence (which could probably describe both the tourneying and the chanson singing, depending on your fancy).  Another distinguishing feature is that for the Bretonnians, ever droning on about courtly love, Lily Day is a traditionally auspicious day to celebrate marriages and crown a Lily Queen.  Of course, it was no coincidence that this year’s Lily Queen was the Lady Isabeau de Quenelles, a daughter of the powerful Bretonnian Duc de Quenelles and betrothed of Young Henri du Bois de Balzac, heir to the oldest Bretonnian family in the Border Princes. 
What is significant for our designs, dear colleagues, is that she brings as her dowry a host of her father’s vassals to help reclaim the Border Princes.  Encouragingly, after winning a joust in which Young Henri bore Isabeau’s favour he publically swore under the banner of the joint Bretonnian-Imperial Crusade that he would not so much as kiss his beloved until he had honoured her favour by winning his spurs in battle against our mutual foes.  A foolish gesture, admittedly, for a youth who might have had so much life ahead of him, but such ridiculous gallantry will be for the betterment of the Empire if it stops the Bretonnians drinking and fighting each other and points those lances in the right direction!  

Right, I must take leave and gather my temper if I am to refrain from saying something honest to these incorrigible damsels who pull all the strings here... will the Bretonnians EVER introduce proper schooling for magic?  Something which doesn't involve embroidery or newts?

-Gavius Klugge

3rd Pflugzeit, 2516 IC

The Imperial garrison stationed in Aldium has razed camp and is marching North along the South Road under the banner of the joint Imperial-Bretonnian Crusade, as I am certain you have already been informed by the army’s Battle Wizards.  Apparently the Witch Hunters burnt several heretics and Chaos Cultists they uprooted in the cosmopolitan settlement, though I fear the dangerous ones had probably gone to ground long before our forces arrived.  Nevertheless, Aldium has been left in good order, and our forces are no doubt the best equipped in the Border Princes after resupplying there.

-GK


6th Pflugzeit, 2516 IC

Word is that a flood of refugees is fleeing Westwards along the Silk Road to take shelter behind Malko’s stout palisades, and that they tell of the growing Greenskin threat.  It seems that since the orc warlord reclaimed the Ironclaw lands that orcs and goblins have begun pouring down from the World’s Edge mountains in a mighty horde that has swept aside all resistance in the lands south of the Silk Road.  Even as I write my humble feathered observers are telling me how the drums across the Ironclaw lands have finally fallen quiet, and how the terrifying warlord has lead his own seething horde West to seize the banks of the Thunder River.  This Green tide has already blanketed the lands between the Blood River, the Thunder River and the Silk Road, and if it isn’t halted soon, it will surely engulf all the Border Princes.

I cannot tarry here with the Bretonnians' incessant feasting, and must just hope that our alliance holds with these strange folk (I mean, Morris dancing!  Really?!  Is there a mind alive that can fathom it?).  I have left one of my less hopeless apprentices, young Adolphus, here with the Bretonnians to keep an eye on things in my absence, and will press on to try and talk sense into Malko’s mercenary lord.


-GK

8th Pflugzeit, 2516 IC

I have arrived in Malko and have seen for myself the haggard faces of the countless refugees who have fled there seeking shelter from the Greenskin tide to the East.  I fear that their trust in the protection of Malko’s lord is misplaced, however: my latest attempt at counselling the fool has further convinced me that he has neither the wit nor the will to deal with that which is to come.  The ancient foundations of Malko will no doubt remain, as they always have, but as it stands everyone within them is going to die.  I have advised those Imperial nobles fleeing from the East to take what remains of their standing armies not to tarry in Malko but to continue West to join our Imperial forces.

10th Pflugzeit, 2516 IC

 Adolphus has sent me word that Tybalt, Thirteenth of his Name, du Bois de Balzac, head of the most ancient Bretonnian Border Prince lineages and father of Young Henri, has left his castle with his vassals and is claiming the fealty of the lands to the North and East as his own.

-GK


11th Pflugzeit, 2516 IC

While the most pressing concern for Malko is how to feed the Greenskins fleeing the orcs and goblins, I am almost more concerned by how few refugees have managed to flee the advance of the Chaos horde which is marching steadily South under the fell banners of the Ruinous Powers.  Most if not all of those who do have made it to Malko are possessed of the vacant look of one who has witnessed horrors beyond imagining, and unlike the hopefuls fleeing the orcs, these refugees have no illusions of salvation.  Those who have still some fire in them have become mad, frothing zealots, railing at the sinfulness of Man and telling all you will listen (and those who won’t!) about the approaching End Times.  I have herded as many as I can in the direction of our Imperial forces where perhaps our Warrior Priests can put their madness to some good, but enough remain here to incite riots and sap morale. 

-GK

14th Pflugzeit, 2516 IC

Another legion of long-dead Nehekharans is claiming lands to the South and taking those who lived there as slaves.  These slaves seem to immediately be put to work reclaiming long buried ruins.

-GK


19th Pflugzeit, 2516 IC

In the course of my enquiries here in Malko I have also noticed several suspiciously familiar faces from Aldium.  How strange that so many Burghers, merchants and farmers should be so intent on travelling East when all around them are fleeing Westwards?  No doubt most are Chaos cultists driven from Aldium by the Witch Hunter’s investigations who are on their way to join the approaching Chaos horde.  I have already quietly dispatched a minor sorcerer whose blasphemies were revealed in the form of a horrific, weeping eye growing in his chest, and subtly revealed a few other mutants and cultists to the justice of the zealots, but it is clear that the battle for the Border Princes will be fought in the souls of men as much as on the battlefield, and there is a danger that Malko will fall to the Enemy Within.

-Gavius Klugge

20th Pflugzeit, 2516 IC

An Imperial division, newly formed and bolstered by the forces of Border Princelings of Imperial descent as well as mercenaries from Aldium, has readied itself for war and marched boldly East under cover of the woods.  Our Imperial Huntsmen seem to have served them well in guiding through the tangled forest.

-GK

25th Pflugzeit, 2516 IC

Better news this day from my feathered observers!  A horde of barbarians and cultists lead by fell warriors of Chaos has been trapped in their dark mountain fortress by wild stormy weather and mudslides in the mountains to the North!

-GK




28th Pflugzeit, 2516 IC

Strange tidings from the South!  My raven friends tell me that the the long-dead Silent Legion from far Nehekhara have been floundering through the mists and mires of the Bloodriver Bogs, their rigid square formations falling over each other amid the fog and their chariot wheels stuck fast in the mire despite the efforts of countless slaves.  After days of futile attempts to find passage to through the swamps the force has turned back the way they came.  Now ravens are intelligent birds (probably more so than many people, and, dare I say it, some wizards!) and through my Art I have been able to Divine from them the hieroglyphs appearing on the most prominent banners of the force.  My knowledge of Nehekharan hieroglyphics is, I must admit, a little rusty but I gather the general we are dealing with is… er was… known as ‘Nun’keb the Erratic.’  I am not certain I have translated that last title correctly: my Ravens keep getting distracted by all the ‘shiny’ objects of gold and lapis lazuli they have stolen from the Nehekharan’s ornate armour.  I do hope this Nun’keb doesn’t come looking for them before I’ve thought of a way to return them… from what I have read the Tomb Kings seldom take kindly to those who remove things from their tombs, even if they don’t seem to be using them at the time.  

Anyway, I have attached my sketch of the hieroglyphs I can make out from the Raven’s descriptions, perhaps my esteemed colleagues in the Amethyst Order can make better sense of them and let me know who I am dealing with here.

-Gavius Klugge




Faction
Normal Territories
Special Territories
Total Territories
Razed Territories
Victory Points
Banners
Alliances
Bretonnians
5
0
5
0
5
2
Empire
Empire
4
1
5
0
9
2
Bretonnia
Orcs and Goblins
6
1
7
0
11
3

Tomb Kings
4
0
4
0
4
2

Warriors of Chaos
4
0
4
0
4
2

No comments:

Post a Comment